Tuesday, November 1, 2011

http:revmarylois1.blogspot.com Always learning Every moment of every day I am learning something. I was raised in Upstate NY spent 40 years living there. This week I took a trip to Long Island New York. Same Governor for New York but these to areas are as different as day and night. I learned on this visit that for my whole life I had pronounced Long Island wrong. For the natives of this area when you pronounce Long Island the g is a hard, not a soft one. I think this is because of the thick accent they speak with even though in this part of NY I am the one who speaks different.. When speaking with a group of native Long Islanders they let me know that no where are bagels made right but on Long Island. That the best pizza in the world was made here too. The issue they had with me is they could not prove this to me. I am on an eating plan that does not include breads of any kind. But, I am learning the pride of this community. Generations of living in the same area has provided them with a since of community that is very strong. When I travel home. (Home for me is where ever my Elder Pa‘Ris‘Ha‘ I). We come together with the same since of community. The traditions we share makes those of us who travel from all four corners of the Earth to one location have a commonality. When embrace each other it does not matter where we where raised we are one. We have generation of knowledge being shared. We learn the gift the Elder shares and take it back to out communities and share it with others. I am looking forward to my visit to OH this July and the teaching that will be shared. My since of community is so great at this time. I start smiling with every though. What I will learn this year at Sun Ceremony will be shared with millions every where. I bring with me to the land in OH the gift and request of everyone I have met this year. Be Well “We are one together” Rev. Marylois

No comments:

Post a Comment