Monday, January 24, 2011

The profound message left on the cup

The profound message left on the Cup:
Many years ago in upstate New York we had a group of young men,(nine) plus our own two sons, all staying in our house.  We had a small three bedroom house and an additional room in the basement These wonderful young men stayed with us for 2 days while participating in a church weekend.  There where bodies everywhere and with one bathroom we had to schedule everything.  On Sunday morning each person got up and with synchronized precision got through their baths and ate a good hot meal.  When the last car load of young people pulled out of the drive I did a quick inventory to make sure that nothing was left behind.  I entered the room in the basement and on the end stand there was a coffee cup I did not recognize.  I walked over to pick it up there was a saying written on the one side and beautiful flowers all around it.  I began reading the cup.  This is what was printed on it.

“The Difference”
I got up early one morning and rushed right into my day;
I had so much to accomplish I didn’t have time to pray.
Problems just tumbled about me and grew heavier with each task.
Why doesn’t God help me, I wondered; He answered, “You didn’t ask.
I wanted to see joy and beauty, But the day toiled on, gray and bleak;
I wonder why God didn’t show me. He said, “You didn’t seek.”
I tried to come into God’s presence; I used all my Keys at the lock;
God gently and lovingly chided, “My child you didn’t knock.”
I woke up early this morning and paused before entering the day;
I had so much to accomplish that I had to take time to pray.
By Grace L. Naessens

This coffee cup was left with a beautiful note thanking me for being a kind and loving hostess.  The young men who stayed that weekend felt at home and they where looking forward to a return invitation.
 For over 15 years I drank my morning coffee from this cup.  It reminded to take time to pray. And not just out of habit. Until one day I returned home and the cup had broken.  It was OK because long ago the words had worn off.  I don’t have to be reminded to pray.  It was more then a habit it was a choice.

Over the years I have extended my morning prayer to include the prayer, Beauty Way and other traditions including those of my Elder Pa’Ris’Ha’ Taylor . This has made a profound difference  in my life because I choose  to take the time to pray.

“In the long run, we shape our lives, and we shape ourselves. The process never ends until we die. And the choices we make are ultimately our own responsibility."
Eleanor Roosevelt
  
Be well
“WE are all one together”
Rev.Marylois

No comments:

Post a Comment