Thursday, January 20, 2011

Celbration of the Moon 1 20 2011

Celebration of the Moon:

The moon cycles have great meaning for many.
In an agricultural society crops are plant based on the cycles of the moon. A famer knew by the position of the moon when to plant and when to harvest.  The spring moon is a time for planting and the fall moon a time for harvest.  Soil preparation was done during the waning of the moon, (Waning: to show a decreasing illuminated surface between a full moon and new moon. Decrease in size, power, or intensity). All was readied for the planting during the waxing of the moon, (Waxing: to show an increasing illuminated surface of the moon, new moon to full).



There was a time when a woman’s menstrual cycle would also be charted around the cycle of the moon. Most women had their cycle during the full moon.  This was a time of respect and tradition that woman honored each other during. It is a time of high power and strength as a woman peaks and comes into her flow.  Women of indigenes cultures knew that to conceive a child during the fall moon would gave the child a better change to survive the cold of winter the fallowing year. This is also the flow of creation amongst all natures’ creatures.

For me to honor the cycles of the moon is a gift I get to give in gratitude.  The preparation for the celebration depends on the phases of the Moon. The new moon is the time to start new projects. The preparation for new projects takes place after the Full moon. Just like the famers planting cycle. In the time after the new moon every thing is moving forward and crescendos with the Full moon.


Last night was full moon.  Wow!  What a gift!  How powerful the silver beams flow form the full bright illumined sphere shining from the heavens. There where the rays that where dancing across the waters of Tampa bay.  Then around midnight night as I stepped out to moon bath Grandfather Moon was in cased is the mist of the Ancients.  The shadows of the Ancients moved quickly across the face of Grandfather Moon.  At first I thought there was a genial rain on my face.  Then I realized that it was the thickness of mist, the Ancients, that where completely surrounding me.  As I open the blanket to ground to the energies of the earth I was engulfed with  their loving embarrass. This was a gift from the loving Ancients.  My blanket dropped to the ground and I raised my arms to open to the energies of Grandfather Moon. The voice of my Elder Grandmother Pa’Ris’Ha’ was sweet in my ear as we shared the beautiful pray of Grandfather Moon.  This is my way honor to Grandfather Moon, to celebrate the gift of the cycle of the Moon.



Be Well
"We are all one together"
Rev. Marylois

No comments:

Post a Comment