Monday, February 28, 2011

Communication

Communication

What is communication? When I was little I thought it was the adult creature’s in the comic strip Charlie Brown. Where some one was talking but all you heard was blal bla bla. Even today there are times when the conversation is still someone talking at me and me not being tuned into what is being spoken.
What I know is that is not communication. Communication is the circle of life that Grandmother Pa’Ris’Ha’ shears with us. Life is a cycle a cycle is a circle and everything returns from where it began. That’s how a conversation goes. Person A speaks a thought to person B. Person B communicates back to person A what they heard. Person A agrees or disagrees and continues on. This cycle is vital because with out it the conversation gets all mixed up in our own personal filtering system.
As a child care provider it is a gift to watch an infants start to learn the art of communicate with sound. First they stop and listen. Then when it is quiet they begin to react. Then they stop to see if there is a response. Then the make more sounds. The cycle begins and is repeated over and over again.
When children get older and yes many adults forget this art of communication. Some where along the line we stop waiting for the sound to start and stop before we are jumping into give our opinions. What the other person said does not matter because we are busy with a conversation in our mind that does not allow for a free flow of conversation . Becoming a exporter of sound. The refraction of the vibration is always flowing outward. There is no reverbs, no cycle. We are never sure if we have been heard. The aspect of communication that is missing is being heard. Unless we close our mouth and listen we don’t know if we have been heard. When we close our mouth and listen it gives other the chance to respond They reflect back to us and this completes the cycle. That is communication.

I revisit this topic quite often because I need to be reminded how important listening to another is. For me this means repeating back to them what I think I heard so they can clarify it to me . Like, yesterday when Shanon and I where working on her wedding dress. I heard her say I have a uni bub in this dress. After we stopped laughing. I was aware of the conversation going on in my head on how I could fix this problem then I remembered that this was Shanon's communication and I asked her what she was trying to tell me. She began to giggle again and said on her wedding day she would like two bub not one. That is what we did tailored the dress to what Shanon wanted. Our cycle was easy Shannon talked I listen and asked question to make sure I understand her. We completed our communication circle.

Be Well
"We are all one together"
Rev.Marylois

No comments:

Post a Comment