Thursday, February 3, 2011

Communication

Communication:
This weekend I am taking a communication course.  I signed up for it in December and since then how I communicate has been showing up every where.
Dictionary meaning for Communication:  exchange of information, message spoken or written, the communicating of information, a sense of mutual understanding and sympathy, a means of access or communication.
When I read the dictionary definitions, I thought this is what everything is about. We are communicating every moment of our lives. How we do this makes life easier or causes drama much of which is unnecessary drama.
For the last week with my great grand son Jayden learning to communicate with a two year old has been wonderful and some times frustrating.  I know on his part he has learned to grab my finger and take me to what I do not understand.  One morning he brought me his dipper bag.  I got that communication clearly.  Of course the smells help too. There are times when we communicate though touch a kiss or a hug from Jayden is like being wrapped in the loving embrace of Grandmother Pa’Ris’Ha’, Eli herself. Then there are times when we are just not connecting and he becomes frustrated and begins to swing his arms.  I quickly say I am listening show me.  Or we become very still and communicate through silence.
Last night communication or the lack of it prevailed in my space.  Last Saturday I made a date for Wednesday night, a celebration after New Moon Ceremony.  We had talked about having a late dinner and spending the night enjoying each other.  On Sunday I got an email that set me off.  I sent him back one that I thought communicated my upset with this email.  Then for 4 days I received no communication from him.  Not even the usual phone call saying, hello I was thinking about you.  Nothing!  So the communication I gave to me was he is with holding or maybe he does not want to see me. I messed up.   Then I responded, to my self, I am not going to travel 45minintes to see him until he calls. Our original date was set for 7:30, at 8:00 I got an email it said hello sunshine it is 7:30 where are you? What?????!!!! After I allowed myself a time of upset I started going over the whole issue.  Wow talk about mis-communication.  This whole issue was over no clear communication. I had lots of communication in my head but no agreement any where else.  I then remember Grandmother Pa’Ris’Ha’ saying that communication is when there is an exchange of ideals person to person and each person makes a clear statement that the other party shows they understood what was being communicated.  Oh sh--. So now what?  I have to clean up the communication I was having with myself and  not with him.  I had to put on my big girl pants and communicate completing the communication by making sure what he is hearing and saying.
Wow! I am sure looking forward to this weekend and what shows up in the course work.  I am open to communicating.  This means for me I will listen and share what I think is being communicated get a clearing for the person communicating. Most of all not go into my head and make up my own story.

Be Well
“We are one together”
Rev. Marylois



















No comments:

Post a Comment