Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Honor

Honor

A few days ago I told a person he had no honor in the action he had taken. Today I was wondering just what the word honor means. I used the dictionary to look up the meaning to the word honor. (Definitions at bottom of page).
OMG did I really mean all of this? Well yes I did it all boils down to the last line being trusted to act in a particular way. He did not act in a way that respected me, when he erased his phone numbers from my cell phone without asking. However, who was I to say within his life code this was an honorable act. His way of ending a relationship he says was filled with sun shine. This is his to answer.
This one act has taught me a great deal. My girl friends want to rip his heart out and give it to the dogs. They don’t understand the easy at which I am dealing with this pain. Well it’s all about honor. I acted in an honorable manor with every action I have taken with him. I have no regrets. I am grateful for what was shared, I have many new gifts to take to a new relationship or to set back and enjoy in my elder years.
I looked back over the last two months and the way my life has changed. The washing and preparing my brother’s body for transition transcended me to a new value in my life. The eight day spent in the desert contemplating why I am here and what I can do to lead the way for others to find the path of honor for themselves. Yes, the ending of a relationship of a man I adored and loved with all of my being too. All of this action have propelled me to a new place within myself, one of love and honor for me.

My Cherokee Elder Grandmother Pa’Ris’Ha’ taught me that the only law is respect. Without honor of self there is no respect. Ah oh I hear a song coming on. Respect Your Self!

Be Well
“We are all one together”
Rev. Marylois

hon·or [ónnər]
n (plural hon·ors)
1. personal integrity: strong moral character or strength, and adherence to ethical principles
It’s a matter of honor.

2. respect: great respect and admiration
3. dignity or distinction: personal dignity that sometimes leads to recognition and glory
Although defeated, he accepted the loss with honor

4. reputation: somebody’s good name or good reputation
My honor is at stake.

5. woman’s reputation: a woman’s virginity or reputation for chastity (dated)
6. source of pride: somebody or something that brings respect or glory and is a source of pride to somebody or something else
Your achievements are an honor to your parents and school.

7. mark of distinction: something such as a gift, award, or gesture that signifies high achievement or respect
8. great privilege: a special privilege that is cherished, for example, an opportunity to be introduced to somebody admired or respected or an opportunity to serve a worthy cause
It is indeed an honor to have you here today.

9. men’s code of integrity: a code of integrity in some societies, for example, in feudal Europe and medieval Japan, that men upheld by force of arms
10. dignity of high position: a certain high degree of dignity with which high positions, for example, the Presidency, are regarded by those elected to them and by the people they serve
actions detrimental to the honor of his office

11. golf right to tee off first: the right to drive off first from the tee in golf


npl
1. or hon·ors or Hon·orseducation academic distinction: official recognition of academic excellence given to students by colleges and universities at graduation
2. or honorsbridge four or five highest cards: four or five of the highest cards, especially the ace, king, queen, jack, and ten of the trump suit


vt (past hon·ored, past participle hon·ored, present participle hon·or·ing, 3rd person present singular hon·ors)
1. esteem somebody or something: to have or show great respect and admiration for somebody or something
2. distinguish, exalt, or ennoble somebody: to recognize somebody publicly or elevate somebody’s status officially, usually by giving that person a title or an award
3. pay tribute to somebody: to praise publicly and pay respect to somebody who has died
4. dignify person or event: to give prestige to somebody or something such as an occasion by choosing to appear, accompany, or take part
5. finance treat something as money: to accept a check or other financial instrument as money or as a substitute for money and pay it when it is due
The bank won’t honor a check without a signature.

6. keep promise: to keep a promise or fulfill the terms of an agreement or contract
7. dance bow to dancing partner: to bow to another dancer in square dancing


[12th century. Via Old French from Latin honor- , the stem of honos (source also of English honest), of unknown origin.]


-hon·or·er, n
-hon·or·less, adj
do somebody the honor of doing something to make somebody feel proud and pleased by agreeing to do something for that person (formal)
Will you do me the honor of dancing the last waltz with me?
do the honors to act as host or hostess by doing something for a group of guests, for example, pouring wine, carving meat, or cutting a cake (informal)
honor bound obligated by a promise or ethical principles to do something
in honor of somebody or something in recognition of or for the glorification of somebody or something
I’d like to propose a toast in honor of the bride and groom.
on your honor staking your reputation on something
On my honor, I will tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. being trusted to act in a particular way
You are on your honor to behave well while I am gone.

Encarta ® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1998-2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment